Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"You Are My 'Density'"

One of my favorite movie scenes occurs in 1985's "Back to the Future". You all know the story of young Marty McFly inadvertently traveling back to 1955 and his quest to make certain his future Mom & Dad will meet and have their first kiss.

The scene I love is in the coffee shop where nerdy George McFly is trying to pluck up enough courage to actually talk to the wildly popular Lorraine. Marty had been coaching his 'Dad-da-daddyo' in great opening lines, with George literally taking notes.

With a rumble taking place between Marty 'Calvin Klein' McFly and the metaphorically challenged Biff Tannen, George (reading from his notepad) proclaims his love for Lorraine with the words "you are my 'density'"!

Her puzzled look forces George to re-read his notes, and time seems to stand still as he correctly exclaims:

"You are my destiny!"

Destiny... my dictionary defines it as "the hidden power believed to control what will happen in the future".

This past weekend I was playing with Glenn Garrett (www.glenngarrett.com) down at Auburn University to a small but passionate group of students. Glenn's challenge is still ringing in my ears, that the greatest force in the universe is love, and that we all have a destiny. As Christ-followers our destiny is to love Him and love our neighbors, and in doing so both fulfill and proclaim this destiny.

I've seen many moments of this fulfillment in my faith journey... but equally as many where we've fallen woefully short of the mark. But lately I have been reminded at every turn of the longing in every heart for love, acceptance, community, and purpose. The Bible explains this desire in that "...He has also set eternity in the hearts of men..." (Ecclesiastes 3:11 NIV)

The implication is huge; in other words, this destiny is not the working of some 'hidden power', but the God-breathed and inspired plan He has for each one of us!

Now that's a destiny to look forward to!!

GV

2 comments:

eDOT said...

I sure like the look of your blog.
The internet is certainly a great
to have a great witness to many.

If you're interested, I've posted
some blog links (including yours -
hope that's alright) of others who
are doing the same...

Professor Howdy said...

I think it's great when people
use the internet in an evangelistic
way like you're doing.

That's what I'm trying to do
also with my blog. I try not
to look religious and my
hook is humor and yet
controversial issues are
also discussed. As long
as it's evangelical with
a Biblical Worldview
and interesting, I try
to include it.

Please pray for us -
we're often under
attack and have
been for our entire
10 year existence.

Thanks again for
what you're doing...

Your Internet Friend,
Professor Howdy